Chicken and Zucchini Burgers with Creamy Yogurt Sauce
Here’s a great way to pack in lots of veggies, protein and healthy fat into your diet for very few calories! The creamy sumac and lemon sauce is a perfect complement to these delightful burgers but if you don’t have time to make the sauce just mix together some mayonnaise, yogurt and a squeeze of lemon and a little garlic and you’re in business.
When we make this we usually have leftovers for days as the burgers re-heat beautifully.
2lbs (1kg) ground chicken or turkey
4 cups (400g) coarsely grated zucchini
6 green onions finely sliced
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
about 1/2 cup of olive for searing the burgers
1/2 cup full fat sour cream
2/3 cup full fat Greek yogurt
1.5 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tbsp (3 tsp) lemon juice
1 small clove garlic crushed
1.5 tbsp ( 1 metric tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp (3 tsp) ground sumac (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Mix all sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. Mix all burger ingredients together (except the olive oil for searing).Note that the mixture will be very wet. Don’t worry – this is how it’s meant to be.
3. Heat a large 12″ non-stick pan over medium to medium-high heat and add olive oil.
4. Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220C) and line a cookie sheet with baking parchment or a silpat mat.
5. Test to see of oil is hot enough by dropping a 1/2 tsp amount of the burger mixture into the pan. If it browns within 30 seconds, the oil is ready.
6. Scoop out 3-4 oz portions of chicken mixture and place carefully into the pan. You can cook 5-6 burgers at a time. Brown for 2 minutes per side and transfer burgers to the baking sheet, leaving the oil behind for the next batch. Repeat 3 times until all 18 burgers are browned. The mixture makes 18 burgers.
7. Finish cooking the burgers for 5-6 minutes in the oven.
8. Serve with sauce and a large green salad with a balsamic vinaigrette.
Nutrition information per 2 burgers and 1/9 serving of the sauce: 388 calories, 23.9g fat, 5.0g total carbs, 1.3g fiber (3.7g net carbs), 31.8g protein