In coaching my weight loss clients, I’ve noticed that the people who are most successful at losing weight and make permanent changes in their lives think, believe and do the following things. At the beginning of our coaching sessions I spend time with each client to emphasize these things as they are so incredibly important:
- They fill their minds with positive thoughts and beliefs. This really is the key to successful weight loss and to any kind of success in life. I know that the phrase “think positive thoughts” is thrown around frequently in the self-help world however, what does it really mean to “be positive”? All great thinkers throughout history from James Allen “As a man thinketh so he becometh” to Wallace Wattles “The Science of Getting Rich” in 1910 to modern day Jen Sincero’s 2017 book “You are a badass:How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life” (which by the way is a highly motivating and awesome read that I recommend to all my clients), have known that whatever you think, you will become. Failure is always associated with telling yourself negative things. It takes time to ferret out those negative thoughts, beliefs, words and descriptions we apply to ourselves such as “I’ve never been able to lose weight” or “I’ve always been a sugar addict” and instead to fill our minds up with positive thoughts and beliefs like “I achieve whatever I set my mind to”. When you really believe that you will achieve your goal and, once you clear out the negative thoughts that keep you forever stuck in your comfort zone, you WILL succeed. The human mind is an amazing tool – we can use it to achieve anything. You see, in life you attract more of what you think. If you are filled with fears and thoughts of failure and label yourself with negative beliefs you will attract more of that in life. So the first step to successful weight loss is to replace your negatove statements with positive ones – and to put heart and feeling into these positive statements when you say them to yourself! Doing so will ensure that the universe keeps bringing you what you want.
- They keep their expectations realistic. This is again associated with false beliefs and causes people to fall off the wagon so please listen up. When you begin a LCHF eating plan you may lose 5-10 pounds, depending on your starting weight, in your first week or two. This weight loss is actually mainly water loss as your body readjusts to what is very often a radically different food intake. Adopting a LCHF lifestyle causes a massive shifts of water from the body. Thereafter a loss of 0.5-2lbs a week is expected and normal. Don’t expect to lose more than this or you will be disappointed…and then, as many people do, you’ll be tempted to give up. Then what? I find that people see what they think is a slow down or failure to lose weight and think that their eating plan isn’t working…and so they get discouraged and quit. Don’t let this happen to you. No matter what other diet groups and LCHF websites will tell you, this slow-down is par for the course. So, know what to expect and resign yourself to some long term dieting. After the first 1-2 weeks, even on a reduced carb and calorie intake your weight loss will slow down because there is no more water weight to lose.
- They expect to work hard and struggle! Nothing great was ever achieved from your comfort zone! Habits take time to change and change is uncomfortable. So expect to feel out of sorts and scared at times. Until you get used to a decreased and altered food intake, and understanding your personal obstacles (and everyone has them!) losing weight will be hard…. but still doable. Expect that and be prepared to persist and to keep persisting. Desire to achieve your goal coupled with persistence is the key to achieving anything in life! Learn to push through any mental and physical obstacles – because there will be plenty! Don’t let anything stop you! That’s the difference between winners and losers – winners keep going! We learn how to handle different situations by experiencing them and over-coming them. Successful people grit their teeth and are prepared to fight for what they want to achieve. Giving up is not an option. That is the difference between just trying something and quitting when the going gets tough to hanging in there and pushing through to get where you want to be. Even if you slip-up, just keep following your eating plan. Get up and keep going. Progress is your only way to long term happiness. What’s the alternative? Back to square one? Successful people accept that there is no magic bullet or quick weight loss scheme – only hard work, persistence and a true commitment to do what’s needed to achieve your goal. Here is a where a coach can be a great motivating and supportive force.
- They feed themselves quality food – not processed, packaged food or fast food. The people I see succeed learn to value their bodies and treat themselves very well. They look at eating a LCHF diet as a joyous experience (notice I didn’t say an “easy” experience). They relish all the veggies, healthy protein and healthy fats they are now consuming. They view their old carb filled processed food diets as something in the past and they learn to love eating real, unprocessed food. They also get into the kitchen and learn how to cook…and, even if they start out disliking cooking, the process of preparing fresh , healthy meals with real food ingredients starts to become a feel-good experience that they look forward to. Taking care of themselves by eating real food becomes a pleasurable and sustainable habit.
- They graciously accept that they can’t eat everything they want, and as much as they want, whenever they want! Another huge mistake I see when people first come into our program is that they are eating huge servings of LCHF food, eating too much protein and snacking throughout the day. To lose weight you must embrace the fact that you need to eat less. Calories and portion sizes do matter very, very much. We don’t advocate counting every calorie but it’s important to know roughly how much food you can eat to continue to steadily lose 1-2lbs a week. We recommend ordering the following personal carb and calorie report to get an idea of how much you can eat and then once you know your food limits follow one of our calorie and carb controlled personalized weight loss meal plan for a few weeks/months to learn how much food you can eat. After a while you won’t have to count – you’ll automatically know and feel how much food you can eat and still lose weight.
- They commit and make a decision to making this way of eating a lifestyle – and they enjoy it and don’t feel deprived. They don’t see LCHF as a quick, weight loss diet or a temporary state. They consciously make the decision to make this way of eating a life-long solution. To “decide” comes from the Latin word, decidere, which is a combination of two words:
… To decide literally means to CUT OFF everything except the things that matter most to you. They accept eating smaller portions of healthy LCHF foods as a way of life and they learn to enjoy their food and look forward to eating food that is healthy. They learn to enjoy walking and exercising and moving their body every day. They commit to doing the things they need to do, each day to achieve their dream of a slim, healthy body – and they enjoy doing so. Those who can’t readily adapt and find enjoyment in a lifestyle change will constantly face an inner struggle and ultimately fail. If you value eating junkfood or partying and drinking to excess over eating healthfully then prioritising that value will eventually lead to your failing at weight loss. So if you value staying slim above all else you must find ways to make eating LCHF enjoyable!
- They take steps to decrease the stress in other parts of their life. I sometimes speak to clients who think that losing weight will make them happy and eliminate all their problems. Quite the opposite is true. By working on decreasing stress in your job, family life and social life you will be less inclined to use food as a reward and as a stress reliever. You will feel better and be able to focus on your healthy eating plan and not feel you can’t follow a diet because of stress. Work on reducing your life stresses first. It’ll make you 100x more likely to succeed in changing the way you eat and you will have the emotional energy to invest in taking positive actions for yourself. Making supportive, positive life-style changes is an integral part of coaching my clients.
- They model themselves on someone who has already been successful at eating LCHF to lose weight. They are prepared to change and modify their habits and to embrace a new way of doing things and look to someone who has been successful to guide them. They keep an open mind and learn from others who have been successful. This is a biggie!
- They are patient. They understand that weight loss does not happen overnight. They accept that only through consistent efforts day after day, week after week they will make progress towards reaching their target weight.
- They are open to change and to trying new things. I know that a client is going to succeed when they are open-minded, willing to take recommendations and to do things a different way. As Einstein said “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”. If your way of trying to lose weight and keep it off has failed you your entire life, it makes sense that you need to do things differently – and to be open to doing so.
- They have a plan as to how they will lose weight and follow it to the letter. This is the customized meal plan all my clients follow. Its simple, straight forward and allows even those people who don’t like to cook to succeed! Without a plan you are going to go nowhere. The plan can be weaked over time, as you learn what works best for you – but you gotta have a plan!
A little about me and why I love doing what I do: I’m a fully accredited Holistic Health and Weight Loss Coach and hold a Masters degree in Public Health and Nutrition. Having experienced menopausal weight gain in my late 40’s and then lost the weight and kept it off for 7 years now, I’m especially good at helping women in their 40’s, 50’s and beyond lose weight and reclaim their bodies, their sanity and their lives! I love being a health and weight loss coach because it gives me an incredible high to help people conquer their life-long weight battle and see them achieve long-held dream of being slim. I love to watch my clients transform into new people with a zest and energy for life that they never had before. Becoming slim makes them feel more confident and their success spills over into other areas of their lives.
If you’ve struggled to lose weight and then maintain your weight by yourself, then allow me to guide you to success!
To learn more about how I can help you, you can contact me today at email@example.com, call me at 617-543-2808 or leave your contact info below. I’ll reach out to you, we’ll set up a free phone consultation and you can tell me your story and ask me any questions you have. I look forward to hearing from you and setting you on the path to true health and happiness.
Yours in the very best of health,
Elena is a fully accredited weight loss success coach who understands the nutritional needs and challenges of women in menopause. Read more about her coaching and meal plan services on her website.