If only losing weight didn’t take so long to do. We’ve all thought that at some point of our weight loss journey.
So how do you make your journey enjoyable and, simultaneously, ensure that the actions you take to lose weight are successful?
I’ve learnt over the years that doing the following makes weight loss more enjoyable, easier and helps me stick to my weight loss plan:
- Make your diet as simple as possible so that you don’t have to think about food at all. Eat the same breakfast every day. For me its boiled eggs, scrambled eggs or a cheese omelet. Sometimes I’ll have a slice of one of our LCHF Quick breads. On some days I like to take 2 hard-boiled eggs to work and eat them later in the morning between 10 and 11am to extend the interval between last night’s dinner and breakfast. Once you’ve been low carbing for a week or two, and you’re in ketosis you’ll find that delaying breakfast is easy to do without experiencing hunger. Delaying breakfast, helps your body access its fat reserves and also means that you can eat lunch later in the day and then not have to wait too long for dinner. Contrast this with eating at 7am – and then being hungry again at 11am.
- Make lunch a very simple snack like 2oz cheese or nuts (peanuts, almonds, pecans or a mixture). Buy your nuts in bulk and measure out a serving to take to work each day in a small baggie. Similarly, slice off some cheese in the morning and place in a baggie – and there’s your lunch. You don’t even need to refrigerate it. If you want to get fancy, pack a green salad too however I’ve found that the simpler the better. Keeping lunch on the small side means that you can enjoy that glass of wine at dinner or that extra serve of veggies!
- Have a simple formula for dinner each night and make variations of it. A favorite dinner I make frequently is skin on bone-in chicken thighs rubbed with different spice blends and salt and roasted skin-side up for 40 minutes on an oven tray. Choose a simple side like a large serving of a low carb vegetables like cauliflower, steamed green beans or spinach, drizzled with a spoonful or two of good olive oil and some salt and pepper or a spice like Za’atar “USimplySeason” is a great brand available online at Amazon.com. Eat 2-3 chicken thighs depending on your calorie needs. Another formula I use often is to saute 1 or 2oz chopped onion, add 1/4 pound of any ground meat browned, some spices, with a hefty serving of spinach or green beans or any other veggies stirred through. Add grated cheese and melt under the broiler while its still in the pan and top the dish with 2 fried eggs.
- Like to have a drink before or with dinner? No need to feel deprived. A single serve of wine or a low carb beer has very few carbs. Have a 5oz pour of wine or a very low carb beer. In the US try Michelob Ultra beer – it has less than 100 calories and 1.9g net carbs! You’ll feel indulgent and happy. Just make sure you sip slowly to make the experience last and enjoy the ritual.
- Drink plain tea or coffee during the day – especially between lunch and dinner. It will fill you up, soothe you and take your mind off snacking.
- Get up and walk as often as possible throughout the day even if its just around the office corridor, to the bathroom, or to the kitchen to make a cup of tea or coffee. Aim for 10,000 steps a day with at least half of those steps obtained through continuous walking. Get yourself a fitbit or apple watch so you can monitor your steps – make it a challenge every day and have fun with it.
- Craving an after dinner dessert and don’t have time to make low carb desserts? Try 2 squares of extra dark 85% chocolate. The deep chocolate flavor is very satisfying, and stops you feeling deprived. Extra dark chocolate is very high in antioxidants. Try it! For some very easy to make low carb desserts and quick-breads you can eat for breakfast or lunch see our highly recommended cookbooks.
- Before bed sip on a cup of decaf tea. Its soothing and also fills your belly.
- My most important tip of all – stay consistent and don’t get hung up on what the scale says from day to day. Your body can retain water for 3-4 days and then suddenly drop 1/2 to 1 pound. Trust in your plan. It will work if you follow it and if you keep it simple! Our personalized meal plans are kept very simple for success! If you know roughly how many calories and carbs you personally need to eat to lose weight, and you stay in that happy ballpark, you will never unknowingly over-eat or be hungry. Remember – a 1 pound a week weight loss is excellent and what you should be aiming for. Try and starve to lose more and you’ll find that your diet will be unsustainable and you will end up breaking it it. Keep it slow and steady and you’ll be able to stick to your plan without feeling deprived. Make your diet simple, enjoyable and know your personal calories and you’ll sail through without even knowing your’re on a diet. AND remember you always have a choice as to whether you eat a particular food or not. You can choose to move toward your goal or away from it – its always your choice.